Saturday, July 30, 2011

Vintage Fun!

My son and daughter had a chiffarobe in their room that was about to fall apart. Every time you pulled out the middle drawer, the whole front of the drawer would come off.  So we got the bright idea that we should look at the thrift store while we were dropping off a donation to see if we could find one. My husband is handy with paint and I am a decent refinisher thanks to my mom and her love of antiques, so we figured we could pretty one up if we could find a sturdy one.  Couldn't find anything in Monterey, so we saw an ad for a used furniture store in Castroville and figure we'd go. It was closed, but my husband said there was a listing for another thrift store that should be a couple blocks up and he would walk up and check it out. I get a phone call that they have tons of dressers, so I go in, and what he thought was a Salvation Army was actually a vintage resale shop. And boy was it a fun place to look around! They had lots of vintage buttons (some of which came home with me ) ,china, glassware,clothes,and furniture.  And there in the front of the store was a gorgeous maple dresser with filgree drawer pulls and matching side tables. So while my husband was loading it into the car, I looked around and it dawned on me....I have matching glassware and teacups to a lot of the china she had displayed. No wonder I felt so at home there!!

Of course now I have some more vintage jewelry and buttons to create with too, so all in all a fun afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment